‘At Coventry University Students' Union we are committed to celebrating the diversity of our Black students on campus. Now more than ever, as we celebrate Black History Month, there has never been a better time to uplift and celebrate our diverse Black communities across the Coventry University group. Our celebrations this year, will not just be a routine celebration of the Black community. We make a commitment today to continue this far beyond Black History Month. Going forward, equity and diversity will not just be our watchword, we will have difficult, yet crucial conversations, backed up by action.’ - CUSU Sabbatical Officers.
Our theme for Black History Month 2020...
This year, for Black History Month, our theme is 'Learn The Past, Shape The Future'. We know that our Black student community across the Coventry University group are paving the way for future generations, and we want to celebrate this in every way we can. We want Black History Month to be a catalyst for making the university experience the best it can possibly be for our students. Now is the time to look forward, make change, and create a better future, far beyond Black History Month.
What we have coming up...
Black History Month might be a little different this year, but that doesn't mean our celebrations are any smaller. We have so much coming up this Black History Month including:
- Asking The Right Questions Discussion - This World Mental Health Day, we're collaborating with the EKIMELO Project to explore barries to Mental Health support in Black Communities.
- Vogue Workshop - We Are THRILLED To Have The Incredible Darren Pritchard (House of Vogue, Got to Dance, BBC Three) leading a vogue dance workshop, celebrating the contributions of the QTBIPOC (Queer, Trans, Black, and Indigenous People of Colour) community.
- The BIG Quiz - Test your Black History knowledge and win some incredible prizes including 2x tickets to Comedy Shutdown - Black History Month Special 2020
- Instagram Open Mic Night - We want to provide a platform to showcase Black talent across the university group, whether it's song, dance, poetry or anything in between, we want to hear from you!
There's more events taking place across the month, so make sure you visit our CUSU Black History Month Hub, to learn all about Black History Month at CUSU, see our full programme of events, learn our aims for the month and get involved.
That's not all...
There are so many ways for you to get involved with us this Black History Month including:
- Black History Month Blog - We're providing space to hear from our Black students, staff and wider community throughout the month. You can write your blog on any topic that matters to you! Submit your blog here.
- This Is Me Competition - We'll also be running a social media competition, where you can submit a selfie of you representing you culture/community and be part of our BHM Photo Wall. Keep an eye on our social media for more.
- Letters To Our Future installation - We're creating a new art installation on campus, based on your hopes and aspirations for the future. More to come on this soon!
We'll also be working closely with CUSU and the university to commence and further our work on decolonisation, creating an anti-racist campus, and Black Lives Matter campaign. We'll be blogging our developments on these aims throughout the month.