It's Womens History Month here at CUSU - Throughout the month we'll be raising awareness of our Women Students campaigns, events & activities as well as celebrating International Womens Day on the 8th March. There is so much for you to get involved with throughout the month, and lots planned for International Womens Day too. Read on to find out more.
Womens History Month
Women's History Month is annual event that celebrates the achievements of women (anyone who self-identifies as a woman) as well as the inequality that women face, and the fight for gender equality. All month we’re celebrating the women who have challenged inequality and shaped our society, as well as raising awareness of womens history across campus. By remembering our past, we can better shape our future. All month we'll be raising awareness of our campaigns such as our period poverty campaign, and letting you know how you can be involved!
International Womens Day
International Women's Day (IWD) is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity. Significant activity is witnessed worldwide as groups come together to celebrate women's achievements or rally for women's equality.
The campaign theme for International Women's Day 2021 is 'Choose To Challenge'. A challenged world is an alert world. And from challenge comes change. So let's all #ChooseToChallenge this year, and every year moving foward. Some of the events coming up this month include:
- Shape The Future (Speed Networking) - Meet inspirational women, chosen by you at our IWD21 speed networking event, as we discuss how to shape a more equitable future.
- #ChooseToChallenge - We'll be sharing ways that you can challenge inequality, and want to hear your thoughts on how you will #ChooseToChallenge moving forward in our social media campaign, with prizes to be won!
- Nominate Your Lecturer - We're celebrating female academics (anyone who self-identifies as female) who are 'championing' sustainability in their course teaching. Now is your chance to nominate your lecturers and have them celebrated on International Women's Day!
- Poems against the Patriarchy - Join us for this laid back poetry workshop with Lyndsay Price as we express our hopes and aspirations for gender equality through words.
- IWD21 in your school! - Your Welfare & Inclusion Reps are also hosting a number of International Womens Day & Womens History Month events in your school!