Heading off to uni for the first time can be daunting, but with over 50 years’ experience in student insurance, the team at Endsleigh know a thing or two about surviving freshers’ week. Here are their top tips to help make your first week at university a success.
1. Take the plunge – As daunting as it may be, freshers’ week will involve meeting lots of new people, some of whom may end up being lifelong friends! Take the plunge and strike up a conversation in class, leave your room when you can hear people talking in the kitchen, or prop your door open to let people know they’re welcome to come in for a chat. Before too long, you’ll have forged friendships and be laughing about being so nervous the first time you met!
2. Don’t worry if you don’t find your friends straight away – Having flatmates who are similar to you is great, but it’s not the end of the world if their idea of fun is different to yours! There are plenty of opportunities to mingle with other people, so make the most of these early on. Join as many societies as possible and chat to people on your course in order to meet like-minded people you can spend time with doing what you enjoy.
3. Say yes, but don’t be afraid to say no – While it’s important to try new things and meet new people, you know if you’re just not going to be interested in the golfing society, or just aren’t in the mood for a night out. Exposing yourself to new experiences can help you broaden your horizons, but don’t feel the need to say yes to every opportunity available or you’ll be burned out by day three!
4. Look after yourself – Looking after yourself at university goes way beyond eating and sleeping. Freshers’ week can be a whirlwind of new faces and new experiences, so make sure to take some time to relax and recharge. If it’s all getting a bit too much, the students’ union will have resources available to help make the transition to uni life a bit easier so don’t be afraid to take advantage of this.
5. Get organised – Getting stuck with a big bill or a broken phone is not the best way to enjoy freshers’ week, so get organised ahead of time! Check if your accommodation provider’s insurance covers your possessions at home, and make sure your gadgets are covered too. The average smartphone is worth £400, so don’t let one night ruin the fun with flexible protection options from Endsleigh.
The number one student insurance provider is also offering students the chance to win the ultimate student pad with five amazing university packages up for grabs, each worth over £2,000! Prizes
include iPads, H&M homewares, Paperchase stationery, Tesco vouchers and more! Enter now at http://eis.social/2sh for your chance to win everything but the kitchen sink.