Hello, my name is Catarina Fernandes Cardoso, better known as Cat. I have just finished my Mathematics degree and hope to become a teacher after my sabbatical year as CUSU President.
Along with my degree, I was involved in the Rep system to help improve the student experience. I went from being a Course Rep to being the EEC Faculty Officer and now your elected President. I am very passionate about defending your views and interests and we can work together to have the best possible student experience.
As President, Cat heads the Executive Council team, and the Students’ Union leading on Campaigns and democracy, like elections. She meets regularly with Coventry University’s Vice-Chancellor Professor John Latham and Ian Dunn, the Provost. She also represents the student voice on the University’s Board of Governors and meets external organisations locally and nationally.
- Lobby the University for rent reductions and inclusion of Covid-19 termination clause within contracts.
- Encourage the University to increase the emergency fund provision for students with financial difficulties.
- Increase the level of mental health support available on all campuses, no matter where you are.
- Improve accessibility and support for disabled students.
- Make the Students' Union truly student-led by involving students in more University and Union decisions.
- Ensure that the Board of Trustees and other important meeting minutes are readily available on the website.
- Restrict in-class tests and coursework deadlines during revision week to help students focus on exams.
- Tackle the BAME attainment gap.
- Provide sports and societies additional support and on-campus facilities to organise events and activities.
- Bridge the gap between campuses by organising cross-campus sporting and social events.
- Build a rapport with local businesses to provide more employment opportunities for students.