Coventry Phoenix Dance is for anybody and everybody with a passion for dance, performance and making like-minded new friends. Our weekly training and fitness classes provide the opportunity to practise and improve your dancing ability in an inclusive and fun environment. Our society is split into three membership types to suit everyone: Competition, Recreational and Social.
- Includes weekly: a competition training session, a recreational session (optional), a stretch and conditioning class (mandatory for competition members) & a social night.
- Gives experienced dancers the opportunity to perform at Inter- University competitions. The competitons are of an extremley high standard too! Last year we competed in Cardiff, coming away with 2nd in Ballet and at the UK's largest University comp in Manchester, our Ballet team also placed second!
- Performing in our end of year Showcase.
- Those who wish to be competition members must first attend auditions and be accepted, therefore please do not purchase this membership until we confirm that you have been accepted!
- Includes weekly: a recreational session of Jazz and Contemporary, a stretch and conditioning class & a social night
- Gives members the opportunity to perform in a showcase and hone their dancing skills and fitness in classes
- Appropriate for anybody with any amount of dance experience or if you simply want to try something new!
- The opportunity to perform in our end of year Showcase!
- The ooportunity to meet new people and interact with people in our society on socials and meet ups (We will be complying with Government guidelines).
- Includes weekly: a social night - First semester these are on hold due to Covid19 restrictions.
- Access to the annual Society Ball with our other members.
- This is included in both other membership options.
Classes - Dates & Times
Our timetable has yet to be confirmed with the Student Union. We will keep you updated.
To get a rough idea of how we run, here is last years timetable.
- Mondays 6:30-7:30pm ET126: stretch and fitness class (mandatory for competition members)
- Mondays 7:30-8:10pm ET126: contemporary recreational class
- Mondays 8:10-8:50pm ET126: jazz recreational class
- Mondays 8:50-9:30pm ET126: ballet recreational class
- Wednesdays 1:00-2:00pm Priory Building: contemporary competition team class
- Wednesdays 8:00pm @ The Phoenix: social nights, check the instagram for weekly dress-up themes!
- Thursdays 6:00-7:30pm ET126: ballet competition team training
- Thursdays 7:30-9:00pm ET126: jazz competition team training
DISCLAIMER: Unfortunately we are not able to offer tap classes at this time due to flooring restrictions in Ellen Terry, therfore, we willl not be able yo offer Tap this year.
2018/19: Our First Year
The first year of our society was challenging, however we are immensely proud of what we were able to achieve and have learned how to improve. Our members have made lifelong friends and experienced exciting new opportunities, all while improving their ability to dance.
Cardiff University Competition
Cardiff was our first ever competition - Our Intermediate tap team placing 3rd!
Loughborough University Competition
At Loughborough we took the opportunity to improve our routines from Cardiff, even rechoreographing where necessary. We had a lot of fun both competing and attending the competition social afterwards, featuring DJing from Kimberly Wyatt of the Pussy Cat Dolls!
A societies ball is held every year with tickets available to purchase by our members. It is a fun night to dress up and have a meal and glass of champagne with friends, with an awards presentation. Last year, we were honoured to be shortlisted for ‘Best New Society’ and ‘Best Music & Performance Society’ awards and thrilled to have won the ‘Best Society Trip’ award for our trips to competitions!
Last year we enjoyed an exciting social every week, each with a fun dress-up theme and the chance to get to know each other. Below are some of our favourites!
Every year our society members are given the opportunity to pay to go on tour with the sports societies at the university. Last year, some of our members spent some incredible sunny days in Croatia!
We were lucky enough last year to have a heels/commercial class taught by amazing dancer and choreographer Tarek Khwiss! Our dancers loved trying out a new style and giving a sassy performance. Head over to our instagram page (linked below) to watch videos from the class!
End of Year Awards Meal
After a hard-working year, our dancers enjoyed a tasty meal at Slug & Lettuce with an awards ceremony, decided by our lovely Social Secretaries!
Last year, we held our hugely successful Deal or No Deal fundraiser at The Empire club which helped us to raise money for our society. Our girls had a lot of fun setting-up and hosting, and we are looking forward to holding this event again this year!
Objectives for 2019/20
- For our competition teams to compete in at least two competitions and represent the university, as well as hopefully earning some trophies!
- To recruit as many of you as possible to join our growing society and make new friends within an inclusive and passionate community
- To give members the opportunity to learn and improve whilst embracing their love of dance in weekly practise sessions
- Providing a fun exercise option for a healthy body and mind
- Organising a showcase to give competition and recreational members opportunity to perform in ballet, tap, contemporary and jazz in front of an audience. The showcase will also be a fundraiser event to raise money for our society!
- To organise a trip to Pineapple Dance Studios in London
- To contact and invite guest dancers/choreographers to teach sessions to our members
Please get in touch about any questions you have!