Ballet & Stage Dance Society is for anybody and everybody with a passion for dance, performance and making like-minded new friends. Our weekly training and fitness classes provide the opportunity to practise and improve your dancing ability in an inclusive and fun environment. Our society is split into three membership types to suit everyone: competition, recreational and social.
- Includes weekly: a competition training session, a recreational session, a stretch and conditioning class (mandatory for competition members) & a social night
- Gives experienced dancers the opportunity to perform at university-run competitions and compete for trophies (last year we competed at Cardiff & Loughborough and came away with a 3rd place trophy in Tap!) as well as a showcase
- Those who wish to be competition members must first attend trials and be accepted, therefore please do not purchase this membership until we confirm that you have been accepted!
- Includes weekly: a recreational session, a stretch and conditioning class & a social night
- Gives members the opportunity to perform in a showcase and hone their dancing skills and fitness in classes
- Appropriate for anybody with any amount of dance experience
- Includes weekly: a social night
- Gives members the opportunity to socialise with other dancers and enjoy a fun night out every Wednesday, where we start at The Phoenix pub and move on to The Empire club
- This is included in both other membership options
Classes - Dates & Times
One off classes/events:
- Thursday 26th September 6-9pm ET126: free taster session so that anyone interested can try out a recreational class! It will include ballet, contemporary and jazz (please see below about tap). Wear something that you are comfortable dancing in, such as dancewear or exercisewear, and suitable shoes, such as trainers, dance shoes or plimpsoles.
- Monday 30th September 6-9pm ET126: trials for competition teams. It is vital that you attend if you wish to be part of any of our competition teams.Entry for trials costs £3, which must be paid before attending, or you will not be allowed to take part. This is available as a payment option here on the right-hand side of our CUSU page. You will need to wear tight clothing so that we can see your body - a leotard and ballet tights/black footless tights would be ideal - and ensure that you bring water. After trials, we will send out an email with confirmed competition teams. If you are accepted into any of the competition teams, you will then need to pay for competition membership before the first class begins.
These start on week beginning 7th October *YOU MUST PAY FOR MEMBERSHIP BEFORE ATTENDING THESE CLASSES*:
- Mondays 6:30-7:30pm ET126: stretch and fitness class (mandatory for competition members)
- Mondays 7:30-8:10pm ET126: contemporary recreational class
- Mondays 8:10-8:50pm ET126: jazz recreational class
- Mondays 8:50-9:30pm ET126: ballet recreational class
- Wednesdays 1:00-2:00pm Priory Building: contemporary competition team class
- Wednesdays 8:00pm @ The Phoenix: social nights, check the instagram for weekly dress-up themes!
- Thursdays 6:00-7:30pm ET126: ballet competition team training
- Thursdays 7:30-9:00pm ET126: jazz competition team training
DISCLAIMER: Unfortunately we are not able to offer tap classes at this time due to flooring restrictions in Ellen Terry. We have decided not to have a Tap competition team this year as we don't have time to focus on four competition teams, and would rather perfect our other three dances.
2018/19: Our First Year
The first year of our society was challenging, however we are immensely proud of what we were able to achieve and have learned how to improve. Our members have made lifelong friends and experienced exciting new opportunities, all while improving their ability to dance.
Cardiff University Competition
Cardiff was our first ever competition and we managed to achieve a 3rd place trophy for Tap!
Loughborough University Competition
At Loughborough we took the opportunity to improve our routines from Cardiff, even rechoreographing where necessary. We had a lot of fun both competing and attending the competition social afterwards, featuring DJing from Kimberly Wyatt of the Pussy Cat Dolls!
A societies ball is held every year with tickets available to purchase by our members. It is a fun night to dress up and have a meal and glass of champagne with friends, with an awards presentation. Last year, we were honoured to be shortlisted for ‘Best New Society’ and ‘Best Music & Performance Society’ awards and thrilled to have won the ‘Best Society Trip’ award for our trips to competitions!
Last year we enjoyed an exciting social every week, each with a fun dress-up theme and the chance to get to know each other. Below are some of our favourites!
Every year our society members are given the opportunity to pay to go on tour with the sports societies at the university. Last year, some of our members spent some incredible sunny days in Croatia!
We were lucky enough last year to have a heels/commercial class taught by amazing dancer and choreographer Tarek Khwiss! Our dancers loved trying out a new style and giving a sassy performance. Head over to our instagram page (linked below) to watch videos from the class!
End of Year Awards Meal
After a hard-working year, our dancers enjoyed a tasty meal at Slug & Lettuce with an awards ceremony, decided by our lovely Social Secretaries!
Last year, we held our hugely successful Deal or No Deal fundraiser at The Empire club which helped us to raise money for our society. Our girls had a lot of fun setting-up and hosting, and we are looking forward to holding this event again this year!
Objectives for 2019/20
- For our competition teams to compete in at least two competitions and represent the university, as well as hopefully earning some trophies!
- To recruit as many of you as possible to join our growing society and make new friends within an inclusive and passionate community
- To give members the opportunity to learn and improve whilst embracing their love of dance in weekly practise sessions
- Providing a fun exercise option for a healthy body and mind
- Organising a showcase to give competition and recreational members opportunity to perform in ballet, tap, contemporary and jazz in front of an audience. The showcase will also be a fundraiser event to raise money for our society!
- To organise a trip to Pineapple Dance Studios in London
- To contact and invite guest dancers/choreographers to teach sessions to our members
Please get in touch about any questions you have!