This opportunity is based in Scarborough which is quite far from Coventry!
If you are a CU Scarborough student you can view the opportunity here
Volunteering projects offered through the CUSU Volunteering Department, in the local community and online too.
Sustainability Research Volunteer - People and Planet
This opportunity takes place until 20 Jun 2021.
People and Planet are looking for volunteers to assist with compiling its 2021 People & Planet University League; the only higher education ranking that classifies based on social and climate justice criteria.
Volunteers will research publicly available university documents and assess universities against our marking criteria, which cover a wide range of climate and social justice issues including decarbonisation, fossil fuel divestment, ethical banking, workers’ rights and ethical supply chains among others. This work will help to push the university sector towards taking immediate and appropriate action on the climate crisis and upholding the rights and wellbeing of all people internationally.
The role will develop and improve the following areas: • Qualitative and quantitative research skills • Attention to detail • Use of data collection software • Time management and keeping to deadlines • Working independently and remotely • Communication skills • Knowledge of estates management and corporate sustainability.
The following are essential:
• Access to a computer or laptop and a Google Account.
• Familiarity with internet research.
• Ability to work accurately and efficiently to agreed standards.
• Reliability and commitment to completing work to deadlines.
• Able to communicate needs with staff at People & Planet and if needed, ask for appropriate support to complete tasks in time.
• Ability to work remotely and independently Sustainability Research Volunteer
The following are desirable:
• Awareness of key environmental management issues.
• Experience of research and data collection.
• An interest in sustainability, climate and social justice.
Volunteers can manage their own time flexibly but must meet task deadlines on a weekly basis.
Training is provided for the role. The skills and experience gained will be valuable for a number of career paths, including working in NGOs, corporate sustainability, estates management, higher education, research and campaigning among many others.
People & Planet will give all volunteers an official reference letter on successful completion of their placement and will act as a referee for future positions for which you may apply.
Benefits to self
• Qualitative and quantitative research skills
• Attention to detail
• Use of data collection software
• Time management and keeping to deadlines
• Working independently and remotely
• Communication skills
• Knowledge of estates management and corporate sustainability
You will need to commit to 3 weeks of remote full-time work starting the week commencing 5th July 2021, 19th July
2021 or 2nd August 2021.
• One day of remote training the week prior to your 3 week engagement.
Volunteers will receive support from People & Planet.
- ProfessionsOnline Volunteering