Helping to run our LGBT+ youth groups and make a difference to the lives of LGBT+ young people. This is an exciting, dynamic and rewarding role for someone who really wants to make a difference. You do not need to be LGBT+ to apply and previous experience is not essential.
Volunteering with Warwickshire Pride is an incredibly rewarding experience that will enable you to make a difference to the lives of LGBT+ people, as well as developing your skills. We are currently seeking volunteers to join our team and help to run the Proud Youth groups for LGBT+ people aged 12 - 18.
The groups provide a safe, welcoming space where young LGBT+ people can be themselves and receive any support they require. Some of the young people we work with face issues such as bullying, discrimination, poor mental health, self-harming, homelessness and drug abuse. The groups also have a social aspect to them and is a place where young LGBT+ can meet others and develop friendships with other members. We also facilitate trips and activities, which are decided on by the members.
The Proud Youth groups run on:
Tuesdays from 6:00pm - 8:00pm in Nuneaton
Thursdays from 6:00pm – 8:00pm in Leamington Spa
Saturdays from 11:00am - 1:00pm in Rugby
Saturdays from 2:30pm - 4:30pm in Stratford-upon-Avon
We ask for a minimum commitment of two sessions per month, although we are flexible if you have other commitments that mean you cannot do two sessions per month for a time.
As a Warwickshire Pride volunteer you will be entitled to paid expenses, as much tea, coffee and cake as you can handle, various training opportunities, and access to our Proud Volunteers group on Facebook. Regular social events are also held for Warwickshire Pride volunteers.
About Warwickshire Pride
The following objectives are for the benefit of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBT+) young people and adults:
1. To preserve and protect the physical and mental health of such people, in particular, but not exclusively through:
a. The provision of information, guidance and emotional support;
b. Safe, social meeting spaces where people can explore verbally and express their sexual orientation or gender identity.
2. The promotion of equality and diversity in the Warwickshire area for the public benefit by:
a. The elimination of discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation or gender identity;
b. Working in partnership with other providers and community groups to raise awareness of LGBT+ issues, and the needs of LGBT+ young people and adults;
c. Advancing education and raising awareness in equality and diversity, with a focus on sexual orientation and gender identity.
Proud Youth Group Volunteer
The purpose of this role is to:
• Facilitate the Proud Youth groups where young LGBT+ people can relax, be themselves, meet new people, express who they are, and receive support.
Main duties include:
• Providing advice, guidance and support to LGBT+ young people;
• Facilitating activities and discussions with the group members;
• Liaising with Warwickshire Pride management about how the groups are going and how the young LGBT+ people attending are progressing;
• Accompanying group members on outings and trips.
Key qualities required:
• Able to remain calm and diplomatic in challenging situations.
Please note that experience is not required for this role, as we will provide an induction and ongoing training. However, you must have all the key qualities listed above.
To apply for this role, please complete an application form at http://www.warwickshirepride.co.uk/VOLUNTEERROLES or contact us through this volunteer portal.