This society is currently dormant. If you would be interested in becoming a committee member and running the society please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The AAPG society holds talks and seminars featuring geologists, geoscientists, engineers from the industry. We run field trips to geological sites, student expos and employment fairs, and to attend international conferences and student paper competitions.We also encourage and motivate students to take part in research competitions by AAPG.
Coventry University AAPG Student Chapter was established in 2015 to promote careers in the oil and gas industry and the academia as well as encourage cross fertilisation of ideas between student members and professionals. We are an affiliate of the AAPG European Region, in London and the AAPG International, Tulsa, USA.
The American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG) was founded in 1917 and has remained the world’s biggest society for geologists and other oil and gas related disciplines. Across the globe, there are over a hundred and fifty AAPG Student Chapters.
AAPG is an international geological organisation with offices in London, Dubai, Singapore, Bogotá, Lagos, and Washington DC. Included among its membership are geologists, geophysicists, CEOs, managers, consultants, students, and professors.
AAPG provides the network of communications that allow professionals and students to succeed. Its membership is well over 40, 000 in 129 countries.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
• Increasing members’ knowledge on the science of geology-petroleum, natural gas and other energy minerals by organising workshops, talks and attending conferences relevant to this field.
• Promotion of the technology used to explore, find and produce the minerals through informing and making students aware of the latest innovations used in the petroleum and geosciences
• Making students aware of the research opportunities and provide them information on how they can apply for different grants offered by AAPG.
• Enhance members employability through attending employability fairs relevant to petroleum and geoscience
• Prepare and encourage students to take part in the AAPG Research competitions and student papers contests.
- Induction of New members- 20th January, 2017 Engineering Building
- Trip to the British Geological Survey, Nottingham- 31st January, 2017
- Trip to AAPG European office, London- 2017
- Guest Lecture by a visiting Geoscientist- February, 2017
- Award / Dinner Night- March, 2017
- Election- March, 2017
BENEFITS OF AAPG STUDENT MEMBERSHIP
Like every other society or professional organisation, AAPG holds a whole lot of opportunities and prospects for its members. AAPG Coventry University Student Chapter amongst other things benefits students/members in the following ways:
- Provides students the opportunity to develop leadership skills by constant interaction with professionals and industry based representatives.
- Bringing together a cross section of undergraduate and postgraduate student members undertaking geology and oil and gas related courses for cross-fertilisation of ideas.
- Provides opportunities for members/students to learn more about a career in the geoscience industry.
- Provision of academic materials to help new members in their coursework and dissertation.
- Helping members/students to register and/or renew membership with the AAPG International Office in Tulsa, USA as well as the European Region, London at no cost.
- Student membership is open to students majoring in geology or in a field of study related to or generally associated with geology at a college of acceptable academic standards.
- Students have the option of having their dues paid by our corporate sponsor, Chevron, at no obligation to themselves.
- You become a member of the world's largest geological society
- You can get access to additional funding for your undergraduate and postgraduate studies through the AAPG scholarship schemes
- You get free subscription to AAPG Bulletin and the AAPG Data pages
- You become a part of the great social and educational events held at Coventry University
- You get lots of discounts on publications, courses, and conferences
- You join other members to academic, industrial, and pleasure trips
- To promote education and networking opportunities within the general field of petroleum geology and oil and gas.
- Hosting lectures from a range of topics and industry based representatives (as well as academic staff)
- Hosting and organising social events, special competitions, and dinner and award night.
- Attend and participate in social, academic, technical, industrial trips and competitions.
- To organise and embark on field trips to geological sites, student expos and employment fairs, and to attend international conferences and student paper competitions.
- To encourage and motivate students to take part in research competitions by AAPG.
- To increase members’ knowledge on the science of geology-petroleum, natural gas and other energy minerals by organising workshops, talks and attending conferences relevant to this field.
- To promote the technology used to explore, find and produce the minerals through informing and making students aware of the latest innovations used in the petroleum and geosciences
- To make students aware of the research opportunities and provide them information on how they can apply for different grants offered by AAPG.
- To enhance members employability through attending employability fairs relevant to petroleum and geoscience
- To prepare and encourage students to take part in the AAPG Research competitions and student papers contests.
- Promote education and networking opportunities
- Create awareness for the various research grants available and how they can be accessed
- Encourage Coventry student participation in AAPG research competitions and students paper contests.
American Association of Petroleum Geologists
Society of Petroleum Engineers – Coventry University Student Chapter
Petroleum Exploration Society of Great Britain
The Geological Society of London
Shell Global - Jobs and Careers
AAPG INTERNATIONAL MEMBERSHIP: Use the link https://appmanager.aapg.org/site/register/ and fill out the online application form. If asked for the Faculty advisor use Dr Seyed Mohammed Shariatipour, and ensure you tick Chevron sponsorship so it's free. If you are already a member of AAPG International, you can follow the same steps to renew your membership for free.
CURRENT AND PAST COMMITTEE OFFICIALS
Current Committee Officials
President: Chima Wellington Wemedo
Vice President: Iziegbe Oboh
Secretary: Michael Onoja
Treasurer: Luther Emmanuel
Faculty Advisor: Dr. Seyed Mohammed Shariatipour
Past Committee Officials
Committee (Maiden/Pioneer Committee Officials)
President: Faith Oko-jaja
Secretary: Daniel Esu
Treasurer: Colin Ogan
Faculty Advisor: Dr. Seyed Mohammed Shariatipour
MEMBERSHIP FEE: £2.50
CONTACTS AND LINKS
Available to view for logged in members.
Available to view for members.