|Where Are Voting Booths?
||The Hub, 1st Floor
Carpeted area near the canteen
Outside Costcutter or Richard Crossman if the weather is bad
||The Hub, 1st Floor
Carpeted area near the canteen
|There is also a stand in G24 in CU Coventry from 12:30 – 14:00 Monday – Thursday.
Coventry University Students’ Union is run by you, our members. Each and every one of you has the right to have a say in how we are run. You can get involved in loads of ways, from emailing us feedback and voting, to submitting ‘Your Ideas’ and even standing for election as a ‘Union Officer’.
Every year, we ask you to vote for the students that you think should be elected as our Full-Time Sabbatical Officers, Part-Time Faculty Representatives and Committee Officers. These elected students then work on the issues that are affecting you, responding to your feedback and bringing about positive changes at Coventry University.
All students, regardless of degree program, mode of study, age, or nationality, have the right to stand for election and all students get to vote on who they think is the right person for the job.
Why Should I Run
- Make a change – is there anything that you think CUSU needs to be doing? Make sure that your voice is heard and that real changes are made at CUSU.
- Think of the skills you will gain – your work will be so varied that you will gain a huge amount of skills, from public speaking to negotiating to commercial awareness.
- You will get to make real decisions about things that will affect CUSU for the next three years!
- We are looking for a student to lead the Students’ Union, Executive Committee and over 30,000 students that are part of Coventry University Group. You could be the voice of CUSU, be the voice of students and oversee all elements of democracy and policies of the SU.
- VP Education
- We are looking for someone to lead the 1000+ course reps across our campuses. This role focuses on making improvements to all things education at Coventry University and CUSU. Working closely with course and Faculty Reps/Campus Officers across the University group to make sure students receive the best academic experience possible.
- VP Postgraduate Students
- We are looking for someone to lead the 100+ postgraduate course reps across our campuses. Working to improve Postgraduate representation in regards to education, welfare and opportunity. Another aspect of the role is outreaching to the diverse range postgraduate students from all reaches of life.
- VP Activities
- At CUSU there is a society for pretty much everything, along with plenty of volunteering opportunities and we are looking for a student to help lead all of this. If you are interest in increasing participation in student led activities including Source Media across CUSU and the University group.
- VP Sport and Wellbeing
- There are over 50 sports clubs across our campuses, we are looking for a student to help lead them! Improving sports is a huge aspect of this role, alongside promoting wellbeing throughout the University, enabling students to pursue a healthy lifestyle at Coventry University.
- VP Welfare and Community
- Over 2000 students use CUSU Advice every year with a similar number involved in the Volunteering department. Loads of students are also involved with the Community Wardens schemes. We are looking for a student to lead this, help provide fresh ideas and make sure welfare issues are at the forefront of discussion across Campuses.
- VP Internationalisation and Culture
- A brand new role for 2018/19! Focused around the development of internationalisation across Coventry University and CUSU. You will need to create links with the Universities international collaborators to develop an understanding of CUSU. Be the lead in promoting cultural events and opportunities to students whilst increasing the cultural awareness of existing student groups.
- Postgraduate Research Officer
- This is a part time, paid position. Do you want to help be the lead in reaching out to all Postgraduate Research students (PhD/MRes students etc.) on campus? Is there something that you want to do to improve the education and experience of postgraduates at this University? We're looking for someone to lead our approach to Postgraduate Research students.
- Postgraduate Taught Officer
- This is a part time, paid position. Do you want to help be the lead in reaching out to all Postgraduate Taught students (MA/Msc/MBA students etc.) on campus? Is there something that you want to do to improve the education and experience of postgraduates at this University? We're looking for someone to lead our approach to postgraduates taught students.
- Campus Officers (London and CU Coventry)
- This is a part time, paid position. Do you want to help lead the course representatives within your Campus? Is there something that you want to do to improve the education at this University and the experience of students in your Campus? We're looking for someone to lead the direction of the SU at the Campus level.
- Faculty Reps
- This is a part time, paid position. Do you want to help lead the course representatives within your faculty? Is there something that you want to do to improve the education at this University and the experience of students in your faculty? We're looking for someone to lead our approach to education at the Faculty levels.
For more details on each of the positions click here
Question Time is your chance to find out what the Spring Elections candidates will do for you next year. This year we’re letting you submit your questions before the Question Time as well as asking them at the event. All you need to do is submit your question, vote on other people’s questions and let us know what you want to be asked. All questions will be answered live at Question Time so make sure you come along. There’s even free pizza at the Sabb Question Time Event.
Faculty Rep & PG Question Time – 14th March, 3:30pm, EC 129, EC Building
Sabb Question Time – 15th March, 5pm, The Hub Canteen, free pizza included!
Submit your Questions
I’m Confused! Can you help?
Of course we can! We know that whether you’re new to elections or not, it can be difficult to get your head around some of the election jargon that flies about.
Here’s our quick Jargon Buster:
- Re-Open Nominations (RON)
- If you’re not convinced that any of the candidates running for a position would do a good job, you can choose to “Re-Open Nominations” – RON on your ballot - this triggers a re-run of the elections process and more people may choose to stand.
- Single Transferable Vote (STV)
- This is the voting system used, where you tell us your first preference and also your preference if that first person doesn’t get it.
- Student Council
- The elected body of students that determine the direction of the SU for the next three years.
- Exec/Executive Committee
- This is made up of the Full Time Sabbatical Officers and the part time Faculty Reps. The team work with University and CUSU staff to make sure that motions passed by council become a reality.
- A manifesto is a set of policies or pledges put together by a candidate to get people to vote for them. It sets out what they would do if they were elected, and helps you get to know a bit more about them.
View the Election Regulations here Bye-Law-D-Election-Regulations-BoT-Approved-Sept-2018
Want To Find Out More?
If you’re still stuck, just pop an email by clicking the link below or drop by the office (1.24/1.25 The Hub) and speak to any of the Sabbatical team and we’ll get your question answered!