This opportunity is based in Scarborough which is quite far from Coventry!
If you are a CU Scarborough student you can view the opportunity here
PAPYRUS is the national charity dedicated to the prevention of young suicide.
Awareness Raising Volunteer
This opportunity takes place between 04 Oct 2021 and 31 Oct 2022
Join PAPYRUS Prevention of Young Suicide in building awareness of young suicide and creating suicide safer communities.
PAPYRUS believes that suicide is everyone’s business and only by engaging with everyone can a community become truly suicide safer.
Awareness Raising Volunteers help us to build awareness of suicide prevention in local communities. They attend community events and promote PAPYRUS to let people know what help is available to those struggling with suicidal thoughts.
What would you be doing?
- Outreach to local groups/ workplaces/ communities to tell them about PAPYRUS and find opportunities for us to deliver training, talks and provide information leaflets
- Network within your own community to find opportunities to build suicide awareness (this might be face to face or online)
- Face-to-face sessions and attending community events, information stalls and sometimes conferences
Where would you be volunteering?
- In your local area – by agreement with us in a variety of settings
- Supported by our regional teams
- Online via Teams/Zoom
We are looking for volunteers who:
- Care about our mission to prevent young suicide
- Are able to use their initiative to target businesses and community spaces where our publicity materials can be seen
There are some skills that you might need, or we can help you to develop:
- Self-starter – you have good local knowledge of your community to make approaches to various organisations
- Confident communicator, and enjoy speaking to others as you will need to introduce yourself
Flexible - there is no time commitment to this role. Ideally you would take part in one or two activities per month in order to get the most out of volunteering with us. We hold monthly meetings online where you can connect with other volunteers.
All volunteers undertake our Safeguarding Training [90 minutes] and our half-day training in Suicide Prevention Skills. You might be invited to attend more training specific to your role.
Coventry and Warwickshire, Birmingham, Online
Benefits to self
An opportunity to learn how to speak sensitively and safely about suicide.
Benefits to others
By promoting what help and support is available to someone thinking of suicide, you are creating life-changing opportunities to someone to reach out for help.
Some opportunities might take place outside of Coventry City Centre - as our charity works across the Midlands. We will always pay reasonable travel expenses for the role and you do not need access to a vehicle in order to volunteer.
There is no minimum time commitment
You will be given:
- Peer to peer support through Volunteer Meetings
- A dedicated point of contact [Volunteer Coordinator]
- 1:1 "Keep In Touch Sessions"
- Informal debriefing as needed
We will always pay any reasonable travel and refreshment expenses related to volunteering. Our principle is that you should never be left out-of-pocket for volunteering.
- Health & Social CareMental Health
- People & CommunitiesYoung People