Find out how we're celebrating LGBT+ History Month ...
LGBT+ History Month takes place every February, aiming to promote equality and diversity for the benefit of the public.
This is done by:
- Increasing the visibility of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (“LGBT”) people, their history, lives and their experiences in the curriculum and culture of educational and other institutions, and the wider community;
- Raising awareness and advancing education on matters affecting the LGBT community;
- Working to make educational and other institutions safe spaces for all LGBT communities; and
- Promoting the welfare of LGBT people, by ensuring that the education system recognises and enables LGBT people to achieve their full potential, so they contribute fully to society and lead fulfilled lives, thus benefiting society as a whole.
This year our theme is Peace, Activism and Reconciliation. We’ve got lots of events coming up for this year LGBT+ History Month, so it would be great to spread the word to students wherever possible. Upcoming events include:
• 12th Feb: We’ll be at The Yard for our LGBT+ Quiz Night from 20:00 till 22:00, in collaboration with Coventry Pride. Cash prizes, drinks and vouchers all up for grabs! We’re even having a staff team…!
• 13th Feb: We’re indulging in some retail therapy at Fargo Village from 12:00pm with our Rainbow fair, exclusive discounts, products, music and a restaurant opening exclusively for us!!!!
• 19th Feb: We’re screening the award winning film TransIndia, featuring a Q&A session with the film’s director Meera Darji at 6pm in GEG32 and right after Coventry Pride will be screening ‘Pride’ too.
• 22nd Feb: We’re showcasing some of the finest drag artists that Coventry has to offer at our Cabaret night at The Yard from 21:00.
There’s plenty more too! Students can find exact times, updates and details of all events by keeping an eye on the LGBT+ Community Page By Clicking Here.