Select your location

Current location: Coventry

Understanding your Right to Appeal

You have the right to appeal your formal grade, however you can only submit an academic appeal for certain reasons and it has to be done within a specific timescale. In this article you will find helpful information on the reasons you can submit an appeal, the timescales involved and advice on how to submit an appeal.

No ratings yet. Log in to rate.

What is an academic appeal?

An Academic Appeal allows you to ask for a review of your results, progress or award decision agreed by a Progression and Awards Board (PAB). Eligible requests are considered by the Assessments Review Group (ARG) which decides if there was information that the PAB was not aware of when it made its decision. The ARG can ask the PAB to reconsider its original decision.


When can I appeal a result?

You must submit an academic appeal form within 10 working days from the date your results are released on SOLAR.


Can I appeal after the 10 working days have expired?

Only if you have exceptional reasons that were unavoidable and prevented you from engaging in the appeals process. You must provide evidence to demonstrate the exceptional reasons. If you are in this situation and want to discuss your options, contact the Students’ Union Advice Centre by completing our enquiry form at


How do I submit an academic appeal?

You must submit a completed form to

You can find the University’s Appeal Guide and the appeal form here:

The University’s regulations for academic appeals are here: (Appendix 2)


On what grounds can I submit an academic appeal?

An academic?appeal must show that administrative, procedural or external complications affected your assessment.?

You can submit an appeal on the following three grounds:

  • The assessment was not conducted in accordance with the regulations for the course or there was an administrative error or some other significant procedural irregularity that prejudiced your performance;
  • There is evidence of unfair or improper assessment on the part of one or more of the examiners, although you cannot question the academic judgement of the examiners;
  • Exceptionally, that there is evidence that the extenuating circumstances were so severe that they prevented you from making an informed decision at the time as to whether to attempt an assessment or to apply for a deferral.


Are there any reasons I can’t appeal against?

You can’t appeal if you think your work deserved a better mark, that is disagreement with academic judgement, it must be based on one of the 3 grounds detailed above.

You can’t appeal your degree classification, even if you have experienced extenuating circumstances.

You cannot ask for a re-mark or for your marks to be increased.

You cannot ask to progress to the next stage of your course.


What information should I include in my appeal?

  • The ground/s you are appealing under.
  • How your circumstances meet those grounds (explain what happened when and how this impacted your ability in the assessment).
  • Evidence (please see below).
  • Why you were unable to apply for an extension or deferral before your submission date.
  • The outcome which you are looking for.
  • It should also be clear and well written.

Further information can be found in the Student Guide to Academic Appeals.


What evidence should I include with my appeal?

Your evidence should clearly support your statement and prove how you meet the grounds. It must be in English or include a certified English translation as part of the evidence.

You cannot send evidence from a third party- for example from a family member- without their written consent to do so. The consent form is included as part of the appeals form.

You cannot send evidence from an online doctor.

Examples of evidence might be:

  • A doctor’s note.
  • A letter from a legal or medical professional or a counsellor, or from the Welfare and Disabilities team.
  • A police report.
  • A medical certificate.
  • Funeral information.
  • Letter from employer.

Your evidence should demonstrate how you were affected at the time of your assessment(s).


What outcome can I ask for from my academic appeal?

You cannot ask for a remark or to change your degree classification. You must ask for an outcome allowed by the University Regulations (Appendix 2) and your course specific regulations. This could be to be allowed to re-join your course after being withdrawn or to have another opportunity to submit an assessment.


What happens after I submit my appeal?

Appeals can take up to 90 days to resolve. Whilst your appeal is being processed, continue to follow the original results and information provided in your results letter. Not doing this can cause further issues continuing your study or achieving your degree.

If you don’t meet the grounds your appeal will be rejected.

If you do meet the grounds, your Faculty PAB will reconsider your case. They may decide to change their original decision, but this is not guaranteed. See above for more details on possible outcomes.


I’m not sure if I should submit an academic appeal?

If you are not sure whether or not your circumstances fit an academic appeal, speak with an advisor from the Students’ Union Advice Centre. This is a free, independent, and confidential service where you can receive specialist advice about your possible academic appeal. You can contact us by completing an enquiry form at


Can someone review my appeal form before I submit it?

Yes! If you want an independent review of your appeal form, you can send it to the Students’ Union Advice Centre. Please send this to us at least 3 working days prior to your appeal deadline so one of our advisors can provide feedback and guidance. You can submit an enquiry at where you can upload your appeal as an attachment.


No comments have been made. Please log in to comment.

Latest The Advice Centre News

Current selection: No